The history of Pompey Community Church began in 1948, as Pompey United Church. Pompey United Church was formed when congregations of the First Congregation of Disciples of Christ and Pompey Presbyterian Church unified after years of sharing services in the same church building.
The charred bell that sits outside our building today is from a devastating fire that completely destroyed the Presbyterian Church where services had been held. After the fire, Pompey United Church was located at Academy Street.
In 2001, a pastoral search committee was formed when the Pompey United Church found itself without a pastor. Though of a non-denominational background, Wendell Pfohl was welcomed by the search committee and congregation in the fall of 2002.
In the summer of 2005, the congregation broke away from the Presbyterian/Disciple Synods and formed the new, non-denominational Pompey Community Church. The first service as Pompey Community Church was offered on February 12, 2006.
Pompey Community Church rapidly grew in membership, and in 2008, built a new structure at the corner of Berwyn Road and Rt. 20, on property donated by Roy and Caryl Smith. Our new church building provides a 350-person sanctuary, eight Sunday school rooms, an office wing, kitchen, and fellowship hall/gymnasium. Services started at the new building on July 12, 2009 and a Building a Legacy Celebration held on September 13, 2009 marked the final service at the Academy Street building.
On September 13, 2014 we will celebrate our fifth anniversary in our new building. We are grateful for this beautiful facility, for the 230 adults and children who come each week, and for the wide range of ministries that we are able to offer. Our hope is that every person who walks in the door is welcomed, connected and helped to grow in Christ. As a congregation, our vision is to take the light of Christ into our homes, our neighborhoods and our community.